I love books and read as much as my time allows. My favorite author is Jane Austen and my all time favorite book is Pride and Prejudice. I’ve read it a dozen times! I collect antique editions of classic children and adult novels (my oldest copy of P & P was published in 1892), vintage etiquette and entertaining books and interior design books from every decade. I read the classics and the others are great for resource and inspiration.
Books make charming and lovely displays. A new acquaintance walking into your home will instantly discover a bit of who you are just by reading the titles of your collection. But they can also become unwieldy and messy if you don’t have a plan.
There are several ways to organize your book collection without looking like the local library.
- Arrange books by author or subject if you need to find a particular edition quickly.
- Choose color or size to create an interesting display.
- Stack books vertically and horizontally for added interest.
- Stagger books for depth and to create little pockets for display.
- Find unique items for bookends.
- Display books with another collection. Family photos are a perfect pairing with hardcover volumes. Art work of any sort offers a nice contrast too.